« Home | Subway Geography and Geometry » | Patches to the AS3 Cookbook Code » | How to make a patch using diff » | Flex Demo: Matrix Math (and an error in the Action... » | Emacs modes for Flex » | Adobe Flex and Custom Namespace / manifest.xml » | How to use exuberant CTAGS with ActionScript and Flex » | Resources for learning Flex » | Claim »

as3mathlib (formerly WIS math libraries)

I've just imported the WIS mathematics library -- an excellent collection of mathematics routines -- onto Google Code. (You'll find the Actionscript 2 version of the library at its original site)

This library carries a BSD-ish license and includes support for

  • Geometric Objects and Intersection calculations
  • Integral and Differential equation calculations
  • Bezier, Quadric, Polynomial, Complex, Vector and Matrix calculations
  • Symbolic expression parsing

I'm converting the library to Actionscript 3 from Actionscript 2 as time and necessity allow. (That's converting as in getting it to work, and converting as in getting it to be object/pattern oriented). Right now it builds without errors and only a few warnings, but I haven't applied any of the unit tests or checked it for correctness or compatibility.

If you see the value of updating this well-thought out collection of functions, please get in touch and I will add you as a developer. The code is quite modular: it will be straigforward to take modest chunks and get them working independently. I wrote the original author and maintainer, who responded "By all means, continue in the evolution/integration of my library to support AS3" -- but please let me know of any other efforts to update this code, or if a similar or superior math library exists, so that I don't waste my time :).

Email me [flip at the mrflip with the dot and the com] or comment on this post if you'd like to pitch in!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

I'd be interested in your development, don't need it now but may in the future. Unsure the best way to follow, rss? email?

In addition to AS3 being an important component of the working environment I'm in, the availability of as3mathlib makes my role more useful. I previously was restricted to using C (with GSSL and NAG) and R, as well as custom coding routines for Python, Javascript, etc.

This will let me contribute directly.

Thanks.

Post a Comment